The enhancement of rapidly quenched galaxies in distant clusters at 0.5 < z < 1.0
MetadataShow full item record
We investigate the relationship between environment and galaxy evolution in the redshift range 0.5 < z < 1.0. Galaxy overdensities are selected using a Friends-of-Friends algorithm, applied to deep photometric data in the Ultra-Deep Survey (UDS) field. A study of the resulting stellar mass functions reveals clear differences between cluster and field environments, with a strong excess of low-mass rapidly quenched galaxies in cluster environments compared to the field. Cluster environments also show a corresponding deficit of young, low-mass star-forming galaxies, which show a sharp radial decline towards cluster centres. By comparing mass functions and radial distributions, we conclude that young star-forming galaxies are rapidly quenched as they enter overdense environments, becoming post-starburst galaxies before joining the red sequence. Our results also point to the existence of two environmental quenching pathways operating in galaxy clusters, operating on different timescales. Fast quenching acts on galaxies with high specific star-formation rates, operating on timescales shorter than the cluster dynamical time ( < 1 Gyr). In contrast, slow quenching affects galaxies with moderate specific star-formation rates, regardlessof their stellar mass, and acts on longer timescales (≳ 1 Gyr). Of the cluster galaxies in the stellar mass range 9.0 < log(M/M⊙) < 10.5 quenched during this epoch, we find that 73% were transformed through fast quenching, while the remaining 27% followed the slow quenching route.
Socolovsky , M , Almaini , O , Hatch , N A , Wild , V , Maltby , D T , Hartley , W G & Simpson , C 2018 , ' The enhancement of rapidly quenched galaxies in distant clusters at 0.5 < z < 1.0 ' Monthly Notices of the Royal Astronomical Society , vol 476 , no. 1 , pp. 1242-1257 . DOI: 10.1093/mnras/sty312
Monthly Notices of the Royal Astronomical Society
© 2018, the Author(s). This work has been made available online in accordance with the publisher’s policies. This is the author created, accepted version manuscript following peer review and may differ slightly from the final published version. The final published version of this work is available at https://doi.org/10.1093/mnras/sty312
DescriptionFunding: MS acknowledges support from IAC and STFC. VW acknowledges support from the European Research Council Starting grant (SEDmorph, P.I. V. Wild).
Items in the St Andrews Research Repository are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.
Showing items related by title, author, creator and subject.
Mendez Abreu, Jairo; Debattista, V. P.; Corsini, E. M.; Aguerri, J. A. L. (2014-12) - Journal articleContext. Historically, galaxy bulges were thought to be single-component objects at the center of galaxies. However, this picture is now questioned since different bulge types with different formation paths, namely classical ...
Robotham, A. S. G.; Driver, S. P.; Davies, L. J. M.; Hopkins, A. M.; Baldry, I. K.; Agius, N. K.; Bauer, A. E.; Bland-Hawthorn, J.; Brough, S.; Brown, M. J. I.; Cluver, M.; De Propris, R.; Drinkwater, M. J.; Holwerda, B. W.; Kelvin, L. S.; Lara-Lopez, M. A.; Liske, J.; Lopez-Sanchez, A. R.; Loveday, J.; Mahajan, S.; McNaught-Roberts, T.; Moffett, A.; Norberg, P.; Obreschkow, D.; Owers, M. S.; Penny, S. J.; Pimbblet, K.; Prescott, M.; Taylor, E. N.; van Kampen, E.; Wilkins, S. M. (2014-11-11) - Journal articleWe use a highly complete subset of the Galaxy And Mass Assembly II (GAMA-II) redshift sample to fully describe the stellar mass dependence of close pairs and mergers between 10(8) and 10(12)M(circle dot). Using the analytic ...
Galaxy And Mass Assembly (GAMA) : mass-size relations of z < 0.1 galaxies subdivided by Sérsic index, colour and morphology Lange, Rebecca; Driver, Simon P.; Robotham, Aaron S. G.; Kelvin, Lee S.; Graham, Alister W.; Alpaslan, Mehmet; Andrews, Stephen K.; Baldry, Ivan K.; Bamford, Steven; Bland-Hawthorn, Joss; Brough, Sarah; Cluver, Michelle E.; Conselice, Christopher J.; Davies, Luke J. M.; Haeussler, Boris; Konstantopoulos, Iraklis S.; Loveday, Jon; Moffett, Amanda J.; Norberg, Peder; Phillipps, Steven; Taylor, Edward N.; Lopez-Sanchez, Angel R.; Wilkins, Stephen M. (2015-03-01) - Journal articleWe use data from the Galaxy And Mass Assembly (GAMA) survey in the redshift range 0.01 < z < 0.1 (8399 galaxies in g to Ks bands) to derive the stellar mass–half-light radius relations for various divisions of ‘early’- and ...