Show simple item record

Files in this item

Thumbnail

Item metadata

dc.contributor.authorMartens, Brian
dc.date.accessioned2023-08-10T11:30:15Z
dc.date.available2023-08-10T11:30:15Z
dc.date.issued2023-08-07
dc.identifier290390224
dc.identifierb00d51b7-73f0-4621-bdaf-c9033c11a83e
dc.identifier85167874764
dc.identifier.citationMartens , B 2023 , ' A tripod ‘worth seeing’ in the Olympieion at Athens (Paus. 1.18.8) ' , Journal of Roman Studies , vol. 113 . https://doi.org/10.1017/S0075435823000618en
dc.identifier.issn0075-4358
dc.identifier.otherORCID: /0009-0005-0983-5308/work/157140799
dc.identifier.urihttps://hdl.handle.net/10023/28138
dc.description.abstractThis study proposes a new reconstruction of the tripod that Pausanias (1.18.8) recorded in the Olympieion at Athens. According to his brief description, the bronze tripod was supported by Persians made from Phrygian marble. A sculptor's sketch found during the excavations of the Athenian Agora is identified as a representation of that monument. The sketch, carved from poros limestone, depicts a standing male figure dressed in eastern attire supporting the foot of a tripod. The figural type finds its closest parallels among the colossal statues from the Forum of Trajan in Rome, suggesting a new date and context for the monument in the Olympieion. The scenario favoured here is that the tripod was dedicated following Trajan's victories in Parthia, perhaps completed or commissioned by Hadrian. Cassius Dio (68.17.2) records that Trajan departed for his Parthian campaigns from Athens, where memories of Persian defeat were actively curated.
dc.format.extent33
dc.format.extent1793447
dc.language.isoeng
dc.relation.ispartofJournal of Roman Studiesen
dc.subjectTrajanen
dc.subjectHadrianen
dc.subjectOlympieionen
dc.subjectAthensen
dc.subjectPersia and Parthiaen
dc.subjectTripoden
dc.subjectSculptors' sketches and modelsen
dc.subjectPavonazzettoen
dc.subject3rd-DASen
dc.subjectMCCen
dc.titleA tripod ‘worth seeing’ in the Olympieion at Athens (Paus. 1.18.8)en
dc.typeJournal articleen
dc.contributor.institutionUniversity of St Andrews. School of Classicsen
dc.identifier.doi10.1017/S0075435823000618
dc.description.statusPeer revieweden


This item appears in the following Collection(s)

Show simple item record