Architectural expansion and redevelopment in St. Andrews, 1810-c1894
MetadataShow full item record
This thesis documents the five principal areas of architectural development in St Andrews from 1810 to c1894. The Overview examines the factors for change and pattern of expansion, and identifies education, recreation and retirement as the three main pillars of the expanding economy. Part One comprises a detailed examination of the circumstances surrounding the rebuilding of the United College, and extension to the University Library from 1810 to 1854. Part Two examines in equal detail the establishment and erection of the Madras College during the 1830s. Parts Three and Four are concerned with the development of two completely new areas of middle class housing; the 'new town' to the west, and 'Queen's Park' to the south. The stylistic shift from classicism to romanticism implicit in these schemes is highlighted by the new baronial Town Hall. The development of the Scores on the town's northern boundary constitutes Part Five. This is divided on a thematic and chronological basis into four sections, identifying issues relevant to changes of style and building type. The final section re-examines the reasons for the town's expansion and redevelopment, and concludes with observations on the relationship between (a), local and non-local architectural practices; (b), developments within the building community; and (c), the sometimes contradictory attitudes inherent in the creation of nineteenth century St Andrews, particularly in relation to surviving mediaeval remains.
Thesis, PhD Doctor of Philosophy
Items in the St Andrews Research Repository are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.